Why join us?
West Essex Graphics manages the graphics and labeling process for some of America’s best known brands. With innovative graphic solutions that help brand owners move seamlessly and efficiently from concept to shelf, we’re about providing the ultimate customer experience to our clients.
Food Regulatory/ Quality Control Specialist
West Essex Graphics manages the graphics and labeling process for some of America’s best known brands. In anticipation of the upcoming changes to labeling legislation and, to meet the increased demand for services from our clients, WEG has an opening for a Regulatory and QC specialist.
- Have experience managing the regulatory process for a company in the Food sector.
- Understand and can execute labeling programs that comply with current and proposed USDA and FDA government regulations
- Provide guidance to our customers on the appropriate course of action to achieve compliance
- Work as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- Present technical information clearly so that it is understandable by non-technical clients and co-workers
- Bachelor Degree in a Science Related Field (Food Nutrition, Food Science, Biology, Chemistry) or equivalent.
- Minimum of 3 years related to Food Regulatory Compliance experience.
- High level of knowledge around U.S. Food Labeling Laws (food additives, nutrition, standards of identity)
- Solid understanding of food regulation databases
- Excellent analytical, research and communication skills
- Great problem solver and able to function independently
- Develop and maintain accurate food labeling information for finished products in compliance with FDA and USDA regulations.
- Ensure that all on label claims are substantiated and that certifications and allergens are properly documented.
- Provide regulatory guidance and address issues/questions involving existing, new and reformulated products.
- Effectively communicate regulatory reasoning and make appropriate recommendations.
- Conduct ingredient and recipe regulatory reviews.
- For you, it’s all about the details.
- You want an opportunity that’s rewarding and recognize that it won’t always be easy.
- You know how to work as part of a team that includes key members of our client (Regulatory, Packaging Engineering, Design, Procurement) and key stakeholders at WEG.
- You’re a self-starter – able to work with minimal direction and capable of handling multiple project assignments under very tight deadlines. Pressure doesn’t scare you.
- You’re proficient with MS Office applications
- You’ve got Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- You’ll coordinate the production of consumer packaging graphics from concept development through to the release of final material; ensuring that all design elements are in place and work to identify and acquire any components necessary to complete the project.
- You can work with our clients to establish project budgets and secure project information.
- You’ll help our clients figure out ways to save time and money. Identify any cost or time saving initiatives
- You can establish and maintain vendor relations.
- You’re looking for an opportunity to contribute to a dynamic organization and grow your skill set. You have an open mind and adapt to change as the business environment evolves.
- You’ve got high standards for both yourself and your teammates.
- Communication comes easy – there’s no need to read between the lines with you.
- You can set objectives and performance goals that are measureable, attainable, relevant to the business development process.
- You foster teamwork.
- You know how to identify prospective clients through market analysis and have a strong understanding of the packaging industry and its challenges and opportunities.
- You know how to transition a client relationship from a prospect to an account.
- You understand how to set revenue targets and how to meet or exceed them.
- Develop and maintain a prospective pipeline, forecast revenue and regularly update activity in Salesforce.com.
- Get meetings with targeted prospective clients and internal teams to make sure our products/services align with a prospects needs.
- Creates strong relationships with your teammates at WEG
- Using Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), report back to clients on how we’re performing on projects and in the relationship. scope, budget, timeline, quality, etc.
- You find yourself looking at packaging in a store and paying more attention to how the packaging got produced than what they’re selling.
- Color matters to you – a lot.
- Even though you’re a technician at heart, you know that we’re in a people business and you’re comfortable working with clients and the WEG staff to help achieve their goals.
- You know your way around Adobe CS Suite: (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop) with the ability to create production art files for packaging projects.
- Prepress experience in a packaging environment is strongly preferred.
- You have knowledge of the packaging printing processes – especially flexography and the substrates used.
- You’ll review job ticket instructions to determine requirements of job production.
- You know how to Q/C all work performed following the department SOP’s. Check, sign-off, and date checklists.
- You can keep everyone in the loop; updating the Account Coordinators regarding job status and clearly communicating any information required to complete the job.
- Knowledge of flexographic printing processes as it pertains to preflight practices specifically for the flexo environment.
- Strong communication skills.
- Able to provide accurate, thorough, professional work on time and as scheduled.
- Able to coordinate work with others.
- Able to communicate knowledge clearly, accurately and thoroughly.
- Able to meet deadlines, work under pressure and problem solve independently.
- High school or college degree with a focus in graphics.
- One to three years of experience in the printing industry (flexography, offset, screen, dry offset).
- Proficient in various graphic design and layout software applications (Illustrator, InDesign, Esko, Photoshop) on a Mac.
- Thorough understanding of digital file formats (pdf, tiff, eps) from different operating systems.
- Ability to output digital files to various output devices.
- Ability to read and understand instructions.
Preflight incoming files:
- Preflight electronic files received from clients and check them for accuracy and completeness – inform account managers of any concerns prior to proceeding into production.
- Ensures that all necessary fonts are included with the file.
- Verifies colors used and checks the resolution of any continuous tones.
Trapping & Assembly
- Applies required traps, overprints, knockouts, minimum type and line thickness.
- Creates traps for different types of printing per specifications to ensure customer jobs print properly.
- Adjust files to match customer specifications including step and repeat, distortions and cutbacks.
- Places proper marks, color bars and tone scales on jobs, as required by customer.
- Checks work to ensure mark are correct including center marks, corner trims, punch marks, job name and color designations are accurate.
- Reports errors or deviations from standard work orders to the Production Manager / Account Manager.
- Ensures the accuracy of the final data deliverable up to and including PDF, TIFF, stepped LEN files, and FTP upload.
- Completes a Quality Control Checklist prior to advancing job to next step in production.